Tuesday, October 9, 2007

project 2 ideas

idea 1 - sequel to project 1

my mom finds the script i wrote based on our private conversation and flips out. i tell her that it is only "sketchbook material" and that i don't plan to make it public, which she doesn't buy. in essence this piece would become very reflexive and self-referencing in nature.

idea 2 - i go to the moon (green screen or a model set may be required)

i arrive on the moon with my uncle and two other family members. i have a hard time staying grounded and worry about floating off into space. none of my family members help me stay down. all of the personal belongings i brought with me start falling off the moon because of its rotation. my family doesn't attempt to catch them.
i forget about my things and decide to call some people, because i'm on the moon! i take out my cell phone and try to call my dad and stepmom, but my phone doesn't work because i'm on the moon. my uncle gives me a walkie talkie and says "this will work", and it does. i call my dad and say "guess where i am!"
after a brief conversation with my dad, i decide that i need to take some pictures so that i can show them off when i return to earth. i take out my cell phone and snap a picture of myself with the lunar landscape in the background and then turn 180 degrees and snap another one with the earth in the background.
when i go to review the pictures i just took on my phone, i see that they are two pictures of me at home in my room; in one there is a poster of the moon on the wall behind me and in the other one there is a poster of the earth on the wall behind me. i get angry that my camera is lying and think "great, no one is going to believe me now!" but my uncle will tell them that i was there won't he? (i feel very close to my uncle)

idea 3 - a dialog based narrative.. something funny, clever and subversive..

an instructional video on "how to attract girls", which on the surface would really function primarily to poke fun at the methods of such characters as 'Mystery' from Mtv's the pick up artist. one actor, portraying this persona, would consistently intrude upon the life of another actor (a quirky, yet well-mannered and intelligent young adult who relies on his natural personality to keep his relationships with women interesting) and suggest that he follow ridiculous bits of advice on attracting women.

i'd like to push the piece far enough so that it begins to unpack some of the problems with how society has imposed gender specific roles on each of us and how exactly these aspects of gender perception become problematic - the idea here being to discredit alpha male pretension and notions of presupposed female submissiveness and commend free thinking individuals.

7 comments:

louis giberson said...

hey Owen, thanks for the good feedback. I really like your ideas, especially 2 & 3. The Moon Idea sounds really cool. I think it would be really difficult to shoot but could be very successful. It is interesting the amount of ties you have to your family. It might be interesting just to do a piece on your connectedness to you family. i.e. all the different idiosyncratic methods of communication email, telephone, text message, video?? An overlapping diatribe corresponding simultaneously between all the members of your family and you.
I also like your other idea and some of the social constructs it tries to get at. The gender roles in America are pretty defined especially in the south.

Eric said...

Cool cool, i love the idea with you mom. The whole art-world/bible-world humors me almost too much. So that twist would be interesting. Ands the hook-up guy could be invasive and equally interesting. And maybe about you using your other family members on the moon could work with the first one... Like you try and convince them to think outside of the box because your on the freaking moon....you are physically as outside of the box as you can be...

Dwayne Butcher said...

the moon idea has a lot of potential. it could be crazy to film in your room thinking you were really on the moon. maybe drugs/alcohol are involved?

Nanarb Yenid said...

i dont know about green-screens. can you do that? i like the "how to attract women" documentary idea. i love how i am commenting on this immediately before class and we'll be talking about it in a few minutes anyway.

Tiffani Nikole said...

I LIKE IDEA 3, YET IT SEEMS MTV-ISH. MAYBE THE MOON WOULD BE INTERESTING... & ODD. YEAH DO DA MOON!

J Postal said...

Owen,
I think a sequile or a prequile is a great idea.
I think it has the making to be strung together as a larger film done section by section.
I would just want to see the mother this time.
I would also see no problem working
in your father and uncle.
I can't wait to see what everybody looks like.
Jonathan

Unknown said...

Owen, if you want more pick-up artist material I recommend you check out the blog http://www.BecomingAPUA.com

some wild stuff there