Thursday, October 4, 2007

project 1 synopsis

Eggland’s Best is a video reenactment of a dialog held between myself and my mother a few days before Easter Sunday this year concerning our differences in regards to the importance of Christian religious ideals--her perspective being that of a devout Catholic and mine of Agnosticism--although both coming from like backgrounds of strict Catholicism, imposed upon us at an early age.

This video highlights the significant amount of change, and simultaneously the lack thereof, in a formally established mode of thinking that has occurred over the span of a single generation – from mother to son. Also emphasized is the persisting indifference I often feel toward my mother and my family in general.

I believe that having such vastly different religious and political views from the rest of my family has slowly evolved my childhood sense of belonging into a familiar program of indifferent behaviors and reactions that I now exhibit almost unknowingly in my day-to-day life.

Proclaiming to refrain from pushing religion onto any children I might have in the future forebodingly suggests that my life will only continue to exist more as a sort of trivial outside affair rather than operating harmoniously as an essential part within the whole of my family.

During the making of this project, my mother visited me in Memphis and happened across a copy of the script for this video, which duly implied that I had did not have every intention of keeping our conversation secret. Undoubtedly this event has broken scab between us and has distanced me even further away, and about this I feel almost complete indifference.

5 comments:

J Postal said...

O
Well written and a good window into your thought process.
I think it needs to tell me a little more about the story the way you might respond if you had lets say just seen Matrix and I said "hey, what was that about?"
J

Dwayne Butcher said...

Eggland's Best? I guess you are eating an egg sandwich.

Anyways, this synopsis reads a little more aggresive than the film does. I wonder with the tone you are setting with this synopsis are you alienating your prospective audince or limiting them?

zach waters said...

Great fucking synopsis man! I don't care what anyone thinks, your movie is the shit and the synopsis helps push it even further. It's a great synopsis for people who haven't seen the movie yet.

Nanarb Yenid said...

i think the writing is great! i maight take a couple of sentences out to make it a bit shorter.

louis giberson said...

might be interestsing to write this in the third person. seems like there is to much my, I, and first person.