Tuesday, September 2, 2008

dm370 project 1 - completed

on place


With this project my intention was to portray a shift in perception of a place through age. I chose to document and juxtapose images of my preschool and the church I was raised in because religion played a leading role in my childhood but is now the subject of a growing resentment in my adult life. As a three-year-old, unaware of what the word "christian" even meant, I was enrolled into First Christians preschool and had been attending church regularly even earlier than that.

Blissfully ignorant at the time that I was being brainwashed and trained to promote a belief system I knew nothing about, the majority of this video represents my younger self, a care free individual simply observing an environment around him with no function to serve other than to be a school and playground. The end is a glance back from the present day, with the knowledge and wisdom I feel I've accumulated thus far, seeing Christ the King church for what it really is to me - a place devoted to the practice of controlling young and old minds alike to live in fear, guilt, naivety and confusion until the day they die, all based on a bunch of lies.

8 comments:

Guy Masters said...

The video goes nicely with you visiting your child hood again. Not too mention, the song that goes along with it generally speaks about life, which again is a great reference back to your childhood. The playground was also a nice scene to shoot and record. However, since you discussed or mention how you no longer like the belief system of the church, perhaps you should've also visited the interior of the one you were at?

Wesley Catlett said...

I like how the camera reacts to the light and how it takes a moment for the camera to adjust the white balance right. This adds to the dream or memory quality of the video. I also like how you show the reflection of the objects to represent how things change with age. I almost want to see the video end on the reflections instead of the church.

*~Erin M~* said...

The concept of revisiting your childhood and the belief systems they taught is very interesting, something I can relate to. I think more of the church could have been revisited like the classroom sunday school was taught in since you feel strongly about the controlled aspect.

Jason Cole said...

Wow. I think the sudden turn toward something more sinister in the final few seconds of this video is jarring and gets the point you want to make across quite nicely. I'm sure the music has some significance to you (and if it does, then don't listen to me) but I didn't feel like it was particularly necessary.

Dwayne Butcher said...

a little more church, i think. maybe that last shot first, or a close up to the sign. other than that it looks like a playground, the setting for a music video. maybe if you could get a recording of the sermons there and layer that on this video, that would be interesting.

ry said...

Im really off by the audio. The lyrics fit but the rest don't quite help you get your point across. Perhaps something else would have worked as well. Its a question, assumption, means to an end and a definitive argument about religion and childhood. Rough mix- childhood and religion. Nice work...

Alex said...

Awesome idea. I really like the sound of those damn cicadas at the end. They were in a bunch of my shots for this project and they kept pissing me off. I think I relate that sound to a place I grew up.

Jeremiah J. Patlan said...

all i can say is thats some powerful stuff. the innocent atmosphere of the playground makes me think of when i was young and naive, and how easy it was back then to be talked into just about anything if it involved the least bit of fun, and carefree enjoyment. But i can understand the long term effects of this environment for you, and the resentment you have for that time and place. good job.